Bridging traditional craftsmanship with next-gen Demetra material in the Gucci Horsebit 1955
Billie Eilish stars in a new campaign presenting the reconsidered Horsebit 1955 bag in Demetra— Gucci’s innovative animal-free material born out of the House’s desire to explore and innovate materials for the future.
As the first Gucci bag made from Demetra, the new Horsebit 1955 bridges traditional craftsmanship with raw materials that are primarily from renewable and bio-based sources.
First debuted in a selection of sneaker styles in June 2021, Gucci’s ground-breaking Demetra material combines quality, softness and durability with up to 77% plant-based raw materials, with viscose and wood pulp compound from responsibly managed sources and biobased polyurethane from GMO-free renewable sources. Demetra is produced entirely in-house at Gucci’s Italian factory using the same expertise and processes for tanning that give the material its pliable and resilient performance with a luxurious finish.
The new Gucci Horsebit 1955 crafted in Demetra is 75% plant-based and is a testament to the suppleness and versatility of the material, ensuring that the iconic bag meets the aesthetic standards and longevity synonymous with the House’s designs. Other elements showcased in the bag’s creative vision include:
- Heavy metal and chrome-free tanning process
- Hardware sourced with at least 30% recycled brass alloys and finishes containing 100% recycled gold and palladium
- Certified cotton lining, and in one iteration, certified hemp and ECONYL® lining, made from regenerated nylon whereby the ECONYL® used comes from manufacturing offcuts that have been upcycled via the Gucci-Up program
- ZDHC-compliant dye and pigments
- Recycled cotton dust bag with details in recycled polyester